If you’re a dog owner who works long hours or has an unpredictable schedule, leaving your dog home alone for long stretches can be trying for both you and your pet. Veterinary behaviorists and veterinarians agree a dog that must endure long days (six or more hours) without appropriate exercise can experience stress that will have effects on the pet’s emotional as well as physical well-being. But you do have options.
If your dog is well-socialized, could benefit from frequent exercise and playtime, enjoys the company of other dogs and humans, as well as a healthy dose of mental stimulation, then finding the best Doggy Daycare may be the solution.
Is Doggy Daycare Right for Your Dog?
Every dog’s needs are different, and you’re in the best position to decide if this environment is right for your dog. Here are some of the benefits of doggy daycare:
- A chance to meet and play with other dogs.
- Mental stimulation.
- A routine that relieves separation anxiety and boredom.
- Exercise — a tired out pup will be relaxed and exhausted by the time he comes home.
- Lots of TLC.
- Avoids the issue of having strangers in your home associated with a dog-walker.
- Avoids the expense and unknowns associated with adding another companion pet.
Choosing the Right Daycare Facility for Your Dog
Once you’ve narrowed down the options in your area, it’s essential to visit (without your dog) and observe. Examine the facility, watch how the staff interacts with the dogs in their care, and get the ‘vibe’ of the place. According to the Professional Animal Care Certification Council (PACCC), here are some things to look for:
- Is it clean and organized?
- Does it have secure fencing?
- Is the area free of hazards, like electrical cords, wires or broken toys?
- Does it have minimal odors and a comfortable temperature?
- Is there enough for staff to ensure safety?
So far, so good? Now it’s time to ask some critical questions. Don’t be shy; this is your dog’s care you’re deciding on, and a reputable daycare center will be happy to answer your questions.
Questions to Ask Before Choosing a Doggy Daycare
- Will they do a temperament test? The daycare facility should assess your dog’s behavior and personality before accepting them to group play. Brook- Falls Luxury Pet Resort and Doggie Day Care, does a comprehensive behavioral assessment, not only to decide if a dog is right for their environment but also to customize their care.
- What kind of training does the staff have? At a bare minimum, the staff should be trained in basic care and safety procedures. However, ideally, you’re looking for staff trained in animal behavior, including canine body language, and warning signs of danger, stress, or illness. All staff members at Brook-Falls Luxury Pet Resort and Doggie Day Care have passed extensive training in animal behavior and body language as well as common signs of illnesses
- Does the facility have procedures in place for emergencies, like natural disasters or injuries? There should be staff members trained in first aid. Also, ask how they will communicate with you in the event of an emergency. All Brook-Falls Luxury Pet Resort staff members are trained in basic care first aid and CPR. A veterinarian is on call at all times.
- Speaking of communication, will you receive daily or weekly reports from them? Will you have access to a webcam? Will they notify you promptly if they see a change in behavior or well-being? Brook-Falls Luxury Pet Resort will give daily updates, and the luxury suites are equipped with webcams that owners can view their pets through the
- “Watch me grow “app. What type of discipline do they use? According to PACCC, professionally trained staff will use methods that do not use punishment for bad behavior and do reward good behavior. Brook-Falls Luxury Pet Resorts’ philosophy of pet training is to encourage the behaviors you want but to discourage the behaviors you don’t want.
- Is there a variety of activities to appeal to dogs of different energy levels and personalities? Is there a comfortable, designated rest area? Brook-Falls Luxury Pet Resort offers enrichment Doggie Day Care to stimulate the mind of your pet as well as focus on play and exercise/activity. Each pet in Day Care has its own resting area and is encouraged to rest between periods of activity.
- This is not a set of questions to ask of others, BUT for you to ask of yourself. Is the staff open and responsive to your questions and concerns? Are they compassionate, warm, and patient caregivers? Can you feel confident that they will take good care of your dog?
Does Your Dog Like Doggy Daycare?
Once your dog has settled into the routine of daycare, be it daily or only a couple times of week or month, you’ll be able to tell whether they are enjoying their time at daycare. The best sign is a dog that comes home tired, but happy. Do they seem relaxed or stressed at the end of the day? Are they eager to head to daycare each morning, or do you have to drag them through the door? You know your dog best and are the most qualified to assess its health and happiness. When daycare all works out well for you and your pet, you can go off to work guilt-free, knowing that each day is like a vacation for your dog!
For more information about Brook-Falls Pet Resort & Doggy Day Care, contact us today!